Friday 1 June 2012

Cham Time

I arrived back in Chamonix on Wednesday late afternoon after the usual long drive from Scotland. I was pretty tired but made it out for a few pints to catch up with friends and see what plans we all had for this coming summer.
I had stuff to do on Thursday like sort my flat out, buy food and go get my summer lift pass so I just chilled out and waited until Friday before the running shoes went back on.

It is great being back and not having to get up early to go and drive to the mountains , I lay in until around 10am then got up and ready and wasn’t out my door until 12.30pm , the bonus is that a run 50 metres on a road and then im on the trails , I went a run up to the refuge Bellachat and just came back down the same way. Its great for working on uphill and downhill strength as I climb from my house at 1070m all the way up to the refuge at 2152m.
It was not easy. I’m not sure what it was , it cant have been the altitude as its not really that high , it was mighty hot though and by the time I got to the Refuge I was pouring sweat. I was doing ok on the down until about the last 200 metres when my legs got very heavy.
Finally at the Refuge

The Trail back down
I’m not too worried about this , I have done a lot of training in Scotland lately and I must admit I didn’t expect to be feeling that worn out but I have been travelling since Monday and not really had any decent sleeps so I’m putting that to blame. I was door to door in 2hrs 20 mins which still isn’t bad considering the climbing I was doing and I did sit down for a chill at the top for about 10 mins but im sure I will get that time down over the season.
Not a bad view up to Mont Blanc

I was also testing out my new running pack , the Salomon Advanced Skin Slab 12 , Its a strange design and I wasn’t sure of it at first as its kind of like a vest and it has no shoulder strap adjustments , it does come in different sizes though. Well first run with it and I am sold on it , its amazing. Its super snug on the back , doesn’t move around at all, I never once on the whole run had to re adjust anything , it just fits perfect on the back. It also has handy little pockets for gels , a camera and the life saving Mars Bar. Yes its a touch pricey at 170 Euro but its a seriously good pack for distance running and although very compact it carries all the mandatory kit you need when running Ultras over here.
The New Pack. Apologise for the poor quality pic
And another of the pack for any of you interested
I don’t start back at work until 15th June then next up is the Marathon on the 25th.

The forecast is good this weekend and my mate Ally is off so I think the running shoes are going away and its up to the real mountains for some climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment