Thursday 9 May 2013

Winter Over - Race Time

Well that's the end of winter for me. The past 6 months were awesome with some truly amazing skiing(plus an epic 2 days climbing back on Nevis) with great folk and the odd insane night out. Roll on Winter 13/14!

Cosmiques Couloir - One of my Fave days of the season
I left Chamonix late afternoon on Sunday and arrived home in Largs on Tuesday morning. As usual the French auto route was great and a clear drive all the way up to Calais however once hitting the UK as always the roads were a joke and it was constant queueing for much of the journey until I cleared Manchester so wasn't the greatest drive up.

Last Cham run of winter
I was greeted to some lovely sunshine in Largs as soon as I got home so stuck on my running gear and went on my usual wee jaunt. As I always say , Scotland is just great when the suns out and this run was one of the best I have done for months. Only around 13km but takes me along the shore front (passing way too many very very overweight folk wearing very little , not a great sight) and then raise the heart rate a little with a run up Douglas Park to the viewpoint(passing a few lads enjoying the Scottish sunshine whilst drinking Buckie) and then over the hills at the back and round to my house. All in all a great run with a good mix of road , trails and bogs. I repeated the same run the following day but this time it was rather wet and windy.

So it is race time and its the Kintyre 57km on Saturday. I am really looking forward to this. I am feeling in pretty decent shape considering the winter has just ended. My main goal on this is to stay injury free and with any luck be in good shape at the finish line but of course that could all change if I get to 30km and I am doing pretty decent. I could then push a little bit and bring on some pain and suffering but I will see how it goes. I will most likely be in some pain regardless of my pace. Forecast not great with more rain but as long as it doesn't get super windy then I don't mind the rain at all.

After the race I have a few days left here before going back to France so I am going to head up to Fort William and Glencoe and do a bit of easy running (and maybe a ski on the Ben) Once back in Chamonix though it is going to just be train train train.


No comments:

Post a Comment