Saturday 14 July 2012

It's All Kicking Off Now

On Tuesday myself , Ally , Lorne and Graham decided to go rock climbing up the Aiguille Rouge and take our Mountain Bikes so we could ride the trail back down. We spent ages trying to decide on what route to do until the weather started to close in so we opted for the classic Index ridge climb. It starts with a very polished move of about UK Vdiff (tricky if you wear a pair of Adidas trainers like Ally did) but after that it never really goes past easy diff or moderate , its very exposed and at the end there is a 60m abseil off the back then a short walk back to the lift , we just moved together in 2 groups of 2 and were at the top in no time at all after passing a few parties. It was then to the chairlift and down to the bikes.
Heading up armed with Crap Mountain Bikes
Ally starting up the route - in his beloved Adidas
Now I don’t Mountain Bike , I have done it properly once in Scotland and loved it but swore I wouldn’t get involved with it as I spend way too much money already on Climbing kit , Skis and Road Biking. It ended up being excellent and although I thought I was going to wipe out a fair few times I actually only came off the bike once (may have broken my finger as I cant move it , its sore and its turned black) its a long 1000m descent and again I loved it but will still be holding back from really getting involved with it.

Graham and Lorne almost at the top
Graham wasnt actually that scared
I got home around 4pm and was feeling good so got the running gear on and then got the lift up to Planpraz and then the next one to the top of Brevent at 2500m. I then ran back down to Chamonix via the Refuge Bellachat. Brilliant run in the later afternoon and legs felt good doing the 1500m descent. A super eventful day and great training.

Wednesday the forecast was to be miserable but it actually turned out great so instead of going to watch the Tour De France I got the lift up Planpraz and went an awesome two and half hour run along the top of Aiguille Rouge in perfect weather passing the Col Cornu and over to Lac Blanc then down to the Refuge Chezery and back to the lift at Flegere.

It was back to work on Thursday and I had a relaxing lunch break for a change but after work at 7.30pm I decided to go for a run up to the top of Planpraz behind my house. The path zigzags all way up under the gondola for 1000m and I made it up in a PB of 49 mins. It was then an easy stroll back down to the house in half an hour for a much needed bite to eat.

Friday evening was just a gentle jog along the flat Balcon Sud behind the house for 40 mins.

There may be a lack of photos on next few posts as my camera decided to pack it in on top of the Index on Tuesday so I got to send it off to get fixed which could take an age

Finally , I recently took delivery of the new Scott Jurek book 'Eat and Run'. Scott is a legendary Ultra runner. He ran and won pretty much all the big distance races in the US and other countries. He won the Western States 100 mile Ultra an incredible 7 times in a row between 1999 and 2005. During one of the times he ran it he tore a tendon in his leg at around the 45 mile mark and was in 3rd place , he went on to complete the 100 miles , and win. He does it all on a diet of plants , he is a Vegan. It is an incredible story and proves that anyone can run Ultras , just not as fast as him! I only got the book 2 days ago and I have already just about finished it. It really has motivated me on my training after a little blip since the Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment