Friday 11 April 2014

Winter Fading Away

It's been non stop for the past couple of weeks. I have been out on some excellent ski tours keeping the uphill fitness in shape and also managed quite a few lunchtime laps of the Cosmiques Arete to help with altitude but most of all I have been running and lots of it. Still nothing really super long and to be honest at the moment I have only done 25km at most in one go but I have been out most days getting in 10-15km and cruising along just fine at 10km an hour or maybe a little faster but ticking away just fine.

Touring in Switzerland above Col Forclaz
Going to Col Beaugent
First time in proper ski race kit. 1800 euro boots and 900 euro skis. Not mine.
Most of the low level trails are snow clear now and I am able to get up to around 1600-1800m without any problems. Today I went out with Sandy for what was meant to be my big run before the Highland Fling. In the end due to too much snow in one area we ended up doing 20km but added in a pretty good 1600m of ascent and descent. The trail up the mountain(Le Mole 1840m) was super steep. Probably the steepest most unforgiving trail I have ever gone up. It just went direct for around 900m then a small bit of flat then another 500m up again to the summit. The first 900m we managed in a pretty good 48 minutes that's how direct it was. We then went on a little tour around the bottom coming across a lot of snow and generally getting a bit lost but we battled back to where we knew and then completed the ascent to the summit. Incredible views all around of the Alps at one end and over to Lake Geneva at the other. The top part of the descent was fast due to the fact of the amount of snow so we just got on our backsides and slid most of it. Then it was the 900m descent in the forest to the car and it was rapid and sore. It was just so steep but perfect smooth trail so I just went for it and was at the car in under 20 minutes! Easily the quickest I have ever descended. At times(according to my Suunto) I was moving at 75 metres per minute downhill. My downhill running ain't too bad but I think this speed was due to the fact just how direct the descent was. Legs were a bit like jelly at the car but only for a few minutes as I don't think they were expecting to stop.

Sandy trying to figure out where we are
Nearly at the top
Now that's a summit view
As I said earlier I have been out for loads of great runs after work. We just had a new guy(Guillem) start work with us for the summer and he is super motivated to get out as much as possible so we have just been getting our stuff on at the end of work and going out for an hour or so and it's been great. I normally like to run on my own but when you find people who like to run at the same pace and in the same kind of terrain then it is pretty sweet. We never really go faster than 12km an hour but we are both happy to plod up any little climbs along the way at the same speed. I think it is quite a difficult thing to find people to run with who are happy to run at your own pace. I do not think my pace is ever too fast for anyone but sometimes worry others might find it a bit slow and get fed up. Yes I know my pace is not super slow but if I want to go out and totally beast myself on a trail for an hour or two I go and do it on my own. I just prefer to cruise along with others at a reasonable pace and chat etc.. Remember I train for Ultras not for 10ks. I got no point to prove to anyone how fast I can go. I have good days and I have bad days. In saying all of that I have just entered the Annecy KM vertical climb in mid May(1000m ascent as fast as you can) it will be a good little bit of speed work training in an awesome location.

Le Mole Summit
Summer is so much closer now. As much as I cannot wait to get to the states I am starting to realise how much I will miss Chamonix. I am a bit gutted I won't be able to do any of the races around the Marathon weekend here. There is the Vertical KM , Half Marathon , Marathon and the 80km. I would love to send off Chamonix by doing one of these but they are four days before I fly to Colorado and less than two weeks before the Leadville 50 miler so I need to be sensible as I would want to go for the Mont Blanc 80km again as it was a stunning race last year but two 50 milers in two weeks is a little too much at the moment I reckon. I will enjoy helping out Lauren over the Marathon course and seeing what ridiculously good time she puts in.

Lunchtime running
I will probably do a lot of running in the next 10 days and then ease it off for the 5 days before the race. It's going to hurt but it always does at the start of the running season. As per usual I just hope I finish and in a reasonable state if that is possible.

My Nectar Tabs and Gels are still working a treat along with some chewy crocodiles from the local supermarket here. I just need to find a way to ship 3 months supply of them to Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment