Monday 24 June 2013

80km in 4 Days Time

So it is only 4 days until the Mont Blanc 80km. The route has slightly been changed due to snow but it still remains 78-80km and 6000m+. The forecast at moment is for some sun and some rain so I hope that doesn't change too much. As I look out my window now there has been a falling of fresh snow to 2000m overnight! It was 35 degrees last week!

 
I have everything ready in terms of a bit of support at halfway with a change of shoes and extra food. Last night after work I hiked the start of the race to Bellachat refuge which was a good leg stretch but it is a narrow trail so early on in the race and I can see it being very congested until we reach the top where it opens out. Most of the trail I know except the section halfway for about 20km but other than that I have ran all the rest at some point. For me the worst bit looks like the climb out of Vallorcine and all the way to Les Bois. Lots of little climbs so late in the race will totally zap what energy is left in me. From Les Bois however think adrenaline will kick in and the end of the race could be fun. So I just hope to actually enjoy this and work on my eating and pacing and get my kit correct for Leadville. It has a 24hr time limit and if it takes me 23hrs 59mins then so be it. I really expect this to be a tough tough race. For me it is so early in the season to do a 80km , this time last year I done the Marathon and was in a lot of pain during that so my pace here is going to be slow and just get the miles in my legs.

The race starts at 4am on Friday morning. You can follow the race through this site http://www.montblancmarathon.net/en/ You should be directed somewhere on here to follow a runner but may need to switch the site to French. My number is 7710.

Today I am going to go and do the final 10km of the race and then no running until race day. I think I will go and climb up high tomorrow and on Wednesday and Thursday just chill out and probably go up the Midi and sit at 3800m with a book.

Thanks to TORQ FITNESS for giving me a hand and helping to sort me out with energy supplies like Bars , Gels and Drinks. A much needed bit of sponsorship which will help me greatly in training and in Colorado. Once it all arrives I will give some feedback on it all. Rhubarb and Custard Gels! I can't wait for them. http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/


Finally a big shout out to my good friend Scott Denny who yesterday completed his first IRONMAN in an amazing 11hrs 49mins! 2.4 mile swim , 112 mile bike ride and then top it all off a wee marathon. Scott has never been one to shy away from a bit of pain and this must have hurt. Excellent stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment